Back to Home Page
Table of Contents:
- Summary of Experience and Expertise
- Web Content Management Marketing Lead at DuPont
- Digital Marketing Leadership at Trellist Marketing and Technology
- Content Manager at Avantext, Inc.
- Editorial Director & Web Developer at Access Media Group
- Editor-in-Chief & Project Manager at Software Quality Engineering, Inc.
- Communications Manager, Web Developer, Technical Writer at NMT Corporation
- Director of Publications at Florida State University
- Code Editor at Municipal Code Corporation
- Associations and Memberships
- Software Proficiencies
- Seminars and Workshops
- Professional Skills Summary
- Tested Abilities
- Years of Experience Per Skill
- Leadership and Technical Knowledge
I am a CMS expert with broad quality-process knowledge. My expertise range from Publishing to eMarketing, from content-development to content-system technologies: CMS workflow, CMS platform migration, project management, data integrity, conversion, and QA. My analytical and verbal skills are verified by standardized tests (99.7 to 99.99 percentiles).
My unique combination of advanced skills gives you high quality, smooth-running efficiency, and consistent productivity. I also bring a steady positive attitude, firm motivating leadership, and cheerful energy to the team.
Here are some highlights of my unique combination of work experience:
- Digital eMarketing project management, communications, and technologies
- Adobe CQ5.6 (AEM) multilingual multisite builds and management, with translation vendor and ClayTablet translation delivery tool
- CMS migration, prepped data for migration (metadata/design), data prep, and QA
- SEO website strategies implemented, SEO copywriting (marketing and editorial copy)
- Managed remote teams (US and global) for site building, web writing, consulting, design, marketing
- Coordinated marketing campaigns and activities (email, mailers, magazine, web, events)
- Publishing leader adapted to short and long cycles, daily deadlines to annual schedules
- Director of QA and Production, establishing productivity/quality standards, achieving metrics objectives, coordinating outsourcing, driving new product initiatives
- Editor-in-Chief for software industry web and print publishing (articles, features, books, tools, forums)
- Technical Editor and Writer for nontechnical and technical audiences
- Project manager for rapid projects such as tool upgrades or building websites in a few weeks, to large collaborative projects, developing websites and software products over a period of years
- Director of staff including production professionals, editors, writers, quality-assurance specialists, software testers, academic professionals, administrative staff, mid-level supervisors, graphic artists, and journalists
- Management experience brings smooth handling of personnel issues, hiring, firing, performance, attendance, morale, appreciation/reward, conflicts, SOP enforcement, and policy enforcement
- Annual budget development, presentation, defense, and accountable to stay within
Because of that kind of experience, I have this kind of expertise:
- Digital Global eMarketing Leadership
- Expert at web revenue-generation by holistic tactical marketing collateral such as Crowdsourcing, SEO principles, SEO editorial and marketing copy, email, blogs, subscriber-based updates/e-newsletters
- CMS expert, including latest technologies in global multisite/multilingual creation and proliferation
- Content-development start-to-finish expert, including acquisition, international-localization, writing, editing, layout, to publish—books, magazines, newspapers—delivery in print, disc, and web
- Project management expert for projects from SDLC to publishing workstream to CMS-web and migration
- Business decision making, strategic thinker, effective planning
- Managing people, including people in adversarial roles such as production and quality assurance
- Managing multiple groups, remote teams, setting up efficient supervisory routines, processes, and communications
- Workflow management, mapping, streamlining, coordinating smooth day-to-day productivity
- Knowledge management, effectively leveraging and aligning goals, skills, training, and roles
- Establish a culture of trust, recognition, and pride in work to optimize morale and productivity
- Quick analytical problem solving in multiple functional areas, meeting deadlines, and maintaining quality
- Writing RFPs, Proposals, Agreements, Project Plans, Product Mapping, Test Plans, Requirements, Work Instructions, SOPs, Reports, and other business writing
- Hands-on technical expertise in all facets of content-development, CMS, SDLC, conventions, process
Consistent promotions in my past jobs confirm the high value I bring to companies.Back to Top
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FloridaMaster of Arts Degree in English
Bachelor of Arts Degree in English
Back to Top
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Adobe Experience Manager (AEM)
- Lead the global network of five Regional Web Content Managers (RWCMs)
- Provide functional guidance and project management to the RWCMs
- Manage DuPont’s global taxonomy for 50 Country Websites in AEM and Salesforce.com
- Assist business and corporate content owners to develop content in AEM
- Provide technical and strategic support for DuPont users of AEM
- Train DuPont users in Adobe AEM as needed in Europe, Asia, North and South America
- Promote digital marketing inside DuPont
- Collaborate with external agencies for special projects
- Consult on Social Media aggregation and enablement as needed
- Assist with MarComm writing and editing as needed
- Lead DuPont’s internal 100-member Adobe User Network (AUN) as a platform for ongoing training, information sharing, and to encourage networking
Back to Top
Digital Marketing Leadership, Senior Associate
Trellist Marketing and Technology for DuPont, Wilmington, DE
(November 2012 - July 2015)
DuPont Global Web: Completed a one-year Scaleup Project as Digital Project Manager, building 35 multilingual country sites globally, design upgrade, and platform conversion to Adobe Experience Manager (CQ5.6); MSM/CMS training and workflow, verifying design/platform compatibility and integration, digital marketing communications, global content messaging and localization, remote teams management, project management, data integrity, integrated SEO/content-marketing, standards-and-styleguide compliance, requirements verification, and system QA.
As PM, in collaboration with Accenture Technology and DuPont Marketing globally distributed teams, developed and managed a six- to eight-week scaleup process per site, with overlapping schedules and cascading timelines among the 35 sites for efficiency, from initial requirements to final launch.
Of those 35 sites for which I was the Digital Project Manager, I built 14 myself using Adobe's Live Copy and Multi-Site Management functionality. Here are the 14 sites I created:
The remaining 21 country sites in the global scaleup for which I was the Digital Project Manager:
Back to Top
Directed Operations (Production department and Quality Assurance department)
Avantext, Inc., Conshohocken, PA
(March 2007 - October 2012)
- Improved corporate web presence for key market search terms. My SEO analysis recommendations were implemented and returned significant gains within six months, mostly to page 1 search results.
- Helped select, test, and implement a new defect-issue-enhancement tracking system.
- Led CMS migration project, prepared files for migration, QA, oversaw process to successful completion.
- Led production-system upgrade project (outsource/in-house project), from RFP to test and implementation.
- Established a culture of cooperation between Production and Quality Assurance, typically adversarial roles.
- Streamlined workflow, CMS usage, day-to-day operations, supervisory routines, and increased productivity.
- My operational-benchmarking staff-productivity-improvement initiatives allowed production-department reduction from six to four staff.
- Established QA error-prevention routines that reduced or eliminated overtime and late deliveries.
- Improved staff and supervisor metrics for productivity reporting.
- Published aviation regulations and aircraft technical manuals in CD/DVD and online.
- Managed Production and QA operations, content-aggregation and delivery.
- Constantly improved integrated production-and-QA processes.
- Manage software quality (SQA) and content quality (CQA) lifecycles with IT/Development.
- Wrote RFPs, evaluated proposals and managed vendors
- Project Manager—Wrote project plans, requirements, managed change coordinating cross-functional team.
- Developed and managed test plans, use cases, test cases, and test scripts, managed issue tracking.
- Wrote, enforced, and audited Work Instructions and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Budget for my area: Submit annual budgets including staff salaries, accountable for budget compliance.
Back to Top
Editorial Director and Web Developer
Access Media Group, La Jolla, California – West Chester, PA Home Office
(February 2005 - February 2007)
Developed and edited the Consumer Guide to Plastic Surgery:
- Planned and developed the website and its content (wrote or gathered/edited articles).
- Integrated SEO/content-marketing copy with both substantive industry information and SEO optimization.
- Responsible for usability, editorial integrity, and content management.
- Ensured that articles were reviewed by surgeons in the respective fields.
Consumer Guide to Plastic Surgery Accomplishments:
- Within six months of launch, the consumer guide gained national attention, receiving key endorsements from top US plastic surgeons: the president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the president of the American Society of Bariatric Surgeons (ASBS), the director, American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS).
- Within one year of launch, the consumer guide attracted the nation's leading plastic surgeons to list in the consumer guide's surgeon directory.
- Within one year of implementing search engine optimization (SEO), achieved page-one/number-one ranking (Google, Yahoo!, MSN) for key terms in a highly competitive market.
- Within one year of launch, achieved HONcode accreditation for trustworthy health publications.
Access Media Group responsibilities by product:
Back to Top
Articles authored for the Consumer Guide to Plastic Surgery (2005–2007):
Writing Projects (November 2003 - January 2005)
Technical writing, software testing, and document inspections for goal-alignment and performance software. I also wrote a scholarly book (published November 2006) and pursued html/css Web development.
Editor-in-Chief and Internet Project Manager
Software Quality Engineering, Orange Park, Florida (May 2000 - November 2003)
- Served as editor-in-chief, Stickyminds.com, the web's first and most popular interactive community exclusively for improving software quality throughout the SDLC (profitable within 2 yrs).
- Gathered, solicited, and edited articles. Daily content to support the popular weekly “What’s New Gram.”
- Ensured customer-focused quality, editorial integrity, and efficient content-management workflow.
- Project manager for software upgrades and CMS system development and maintenance.
- Served as contributing editor and editor-in-chief of STQE magazine (now Better Software magazine).
- Coordinated with marketing, email campaigns, ad consulting, events collateral, SEO, copywriting.
- Created STQe-Letter, wrote a popular column “Our Take” (circulation 30,000).
- Budget for my area: Submit annual budgets, accountable for budget compliance.
- Planned business objectives and strategy (SWOT, goal-alignment) and coordinated marketing campaigns.
- Hired/managed globally distributed writers, consultants, SMEs, services. Negotiated/signed vendor contracts.
Back to Top
Associate Editor (November 1999 - March 2000)ComNews magazine, Nelson Publishing, Nokomis, FL (November 1999 - March 2000).
Edited copy and wrote product descriptions.
Communications Manager, Web Developer, Technical Publishing Manager
NMT Corporation, La Crosse, Wisconsin (July 1997 - October 1999)
Consolidated and managed three areas of communication: 1) Technical publications, 2) Marketing, and 3) Web development/design/content.
Technical Publications: Wrote and produced online Help systems, tutorial booklets, and software manuals. Coordinated localization and translation for technical manuals and online help. Gathered and verified source data, and published documentation for engineering drawing software, and geographical mapping software. Met with customers to discuss usability and requirements.
Marketing: Produced fliers, press materials, reports, and slide presentations.
Website Development: Built and maintained the company Web site.
Other activities included negotiating and managing outsource contracts; authoring the company style guide; writing, editing, and producing a company newsletter; and directing all company publications from start to finish.
Click here to view more writing samples.
Freelance and contract writing, editing, and publishing (January 1994 - July 1997)
Florida Flambeau Foundation, Flambeau Newspaper; Onalaska Community Life Newspaper; Holmen Courier Newspaper. Editing, writing, and desktop publishing. Researched and reported news, arts, and features. Edited copy and laid out newspapers. Produced newsletters, edited a novel, edited academic papers, and taught English.Back to Top
Quarterly journal, approximately 180 pages, published art and original writing in English and in translation, with international emphasis. Provided editorial direction. Wrote editorial matter. Edited articles, essays, stories, and other material. Evaluated manuscripts and analyzed reviews of manuscripts. Approved submissions. Coordinated editors, supervised readers and production staff. Established editorial policies and wrote house style guide.Back to Top
Director of Publications
Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida (February 1990 - January 1994)
I was the first to convert the mainframe database and magnetic-tape publications to an in-house, PC-LAN desktop publishing office in 1990, which I directed. Set up and supervised Novell LAN. System used Ventura Publisher and WordPerfect. Directed offices of publications, curriculum, and scheduling. Supervised four full-time and six part-time employees. Edited and designed brochures, newsletters, and the University General Bulletin and the Graduate Bulletin. Wrote instruction manuals, technical proposals, public announcements, and press materials. Wrote and distributed bid specifications for print vendors. Reviewed and approved bids. Authored the editorial style guide. Coordinated communications between faculty, administration, and the public. I served on the University Curriculum Committee, to which I reported on degree programs, academic policies, and other curricular information. Budget for my area: Submitted annual budgets, including full-time and part-time staff salaries, accountable for budget compliance.
Coutré Editing and Publishing (May 1989 - May 1990)
Contracted legal, academic, and creative editing, writing, and desktop publishing. Edited manuals and legal codes. Published newsletters, wrote and edited articles, edited academic and creative pieces.Back to Top
Code Editor, and Editor-in-Chief for the Company Newsletter
Municipal Code Corporation, Tallahassee, Florida (July 1986 - May 1989)
Edited city and county codes of ordinances and other manuals. Traveled to client cities. Conducted fact-finding and product-demonstration conferences with clients. Managed publication of legal volumes from start to finish. Produced the employee newsletter. Wrote and edited articles. Designed layout and supervised printing. Recruited editors and writers. Assigned topics. Interviewed new employees and wrote biographical sketches.
Click to see my archive of MCC newsletters and articles.
Senior Member, American Society for Quality (ASQ)
Society for Technical Communication
Content Management Professionals (CM-Pros)
World Intelligence Network
One-in-a-Thousand Society (OATHS)
National Eagle Scout Association
British Museum Library
Anhinga Literary Press
ClayTablet translation software
Adobe CQ5.6 / Adobe Experience Manager (AEM)
Adobe Acrobat X
SJ Namo Web Developer
Web Content Managers
Site Map Pro
Groove Virtual Office
HDK Help Authoring
Mercury Test Director
Corel Ventura Publisher
Microsoft Picture It!
Paint Shop Pro
Advanced Microsoft FrontPage
Writing for Online Delivery
Localizing documentation for translation
Many Society for Technical Communicators Conference Seminars
Many Software Quality Engineering Conference Seminars
- Concept Mastery Intelligence Assessment Exam: IQ 160, 99.99th percentile
- Miller Analogies Test: 465, 99th percentile (measures p/c up to 99th%)
Mensa Admissions Test: 99th percentile (measures p/c up to 99th%)
Admitted to Mensa based on score (Mensa requires 98th percentile or higher for admission).
- Graduate Records Exam (GRE) verbal score: 730, 99.9th percentile
Analytical problem solving, sound reasoning, perceptive and quick thinking:
demonstrated abilities required for membership in the One-in-a-Thousand Society (OATHS), ISI-S, and American Mensa.
- Master of Arts degree in English Literature/Letters
- Managing publication processes and publishing departments: 12 years
- Managing editorial staff, two to ten people: 12 years
- Coordinating remote employees, consultants, and contributors: 6 years
- Directing IT priorities: 2 years
- Negotiating with vendors, authorizing contracts, managing vendor activities: 11 years
- Project management: 8 years
- Sponsor and customer requirements management: 4 years
- Customer/stakeholder relations and issue resolution: 11 years
- Participating in marketing campaigns: 6 years
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies: 2 years
- Research, analysis, and reporting on competitor publications: 4 years
- Collecting, analyzing, and verifying source information: 16 years
- Website-publishing software: 8 years
- HTML: 8 years
- CSS: 4 years
- Professional electronic page layout/desktop publishing: 15 years
- Producing newsletters (web, e-letters, and print): 10 years
- Developing translations (localization) of customer documentation: 2 years
- Editing, content development, writing, and publishing (technical, marketing, legal, journalistic, scholarly): 15 years
- Effective leader, mentor, team builder, and team player
- Interact effectively with all levels of management and staff
- Demonstrate sound judgment, creativity, and tactfulness
- Excellent problem solving and crisis management
- Perform smoothly in complex and stressful situations
- Grasp big picture, details, and how they fit together
- Highly developed organizational and time-management skills
- Easily juggle multiple assignments
- Consistently meet tight and changing deadlines
- Fluently render complex subject matter in clear language
- Advanced knowledge in style, grammar, syntax, and semantics
- Advanced analytical skills